You are here: Home » Home Improvement » Paint Thinners – Handle with Care

Paint Thinners – Handle with Care

Paints are used to beautify our homes. They are further used in a number of industrial products to bestow durability and save them from getting eroded. But every substance that goes into the paints to get the desired effect is not good for our health or the environment. Paints and other related products are made of chemicals. We all know that. But do we know how harmful these chemicals can be? Some of these elements have been even categorized as toxic and poisonous. It requires proper awareness and knowledge about these chemicals so that we learn to guard ourselves and our families from them.

Paint Thinners

Paint thinner is a chemical that used by the worker while painting the house. It is used to thin dilute the thickness of the paints and clean paint brushes. It emits a very strong smell that is hazardous to the health. These can trigger allergies, nausea, headaches and respiratory problems in a person.

A certain chemical named as toluene can cause headaches, depression and nausea where as turpentine can lead to skin irritation and respiratory problem. Another substance in paint thinners is called Ethyl which is responsible for irritation in nose, eyes and throat. It is also said to have anesthetic properties and can lead to serious health issues. Mineral spirits that are used at times in replacement of turpentine can lead to chronic kidney disease.

Paint thinners are supplied in the local paint shops. It is the responsibility of the paint thinner supplier in Punjab to create awareness among the customers about the hazardous repurcissions of these products.

Word of Caution – For Children

National Capital Poison Centre has categorized, paint thinners as a harmful substance for children. Children can choke upon swallowing it. It my further lead to respiratory disorders and lung inflammation if the liquid enters the lungs. These chemicals are categorized as hydrocarbon, one of the chemicals that can lead to death in children by poisoning.

Used by Drug Addicts

The smell of paint thinners are very inviting for drug addicts who use it as an inhalant by sniffing or huffing them. It exudes an immediate psychoactive and mind-altering effect which can lead to some of the heinous health issues in the long run. The most immediate repercussions include headaches, stomach ache, fatigue, motor skill failure such as lack of coordination, numbness, problem in hearing etc where as long term effects include heart failures and even death.

Safety Measures

First and foremost, keep it away from the reach of the children. Due to the inflammatory properties it should also be stored in an open and well ventilated space away from any object that may trigger inflammation in them. Paint thinners can catch fire at just 104 degrees Fahrenheit. It is better not to throw it away anywhere to avoid spreading of the toxins in the environment. It is better to return it to the paint suppliers in India or give it away to someone who needs it. Even better, treat it as an hazardous household item and take the guidance of local environmental authority in order to know the correct way to dispose it. Also dispose the fabrics or rags that have been soaked in the paint thinners in the similar manner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *